Hi! I am Sheri Morgan, a 27-year Laguna Beach resident with 17 years of experience as a parent within Laguna Beach Schools. I have actively participated in School Board meetings, attending over 40 so far through the course of our children’s education. I frequently compliment the Board and District staff on their successes and ask the tough questions that demand transparency and honesty. My broad experience working with the staff, teachers, students and families has provided me with strong relationships and a strong understanding of our School District, its strengths and its weaknesses. I am excited to bring my transparent, independent, strong and honest voice for your consideration to represent our community, to continue to elevate our communities most precious resources, our students and our schools. I am running for School Board to accomplish the following goals.
- Strengthen community bonds through two-way collaborative conversations, committee’s and town halls, inclusive of all stakeholders BEFORE Board adoption! Our community is rich with talent, knowledge, opportunity and space! With my involvement and your support we can utilize tools such as town halls to bring our voices together and be inclusive of input from students, teachers, staff, families and the community. I will work to enhance our school’s relationship with community businesses and organizations. We are a small district and thru stakeholder and community collaboration we can build an amazing team.
- Increase transparency thru improved communication channels and policy reform to return oversight to the Board and rebuild community voice. I will demand transparency thru improved communication channels and policy reform to allow the return of power to our School Board and a voice for the community. The current Board has relinquished all operational and educational authority to the Superintendent, calling themselves a “weak board”. At the onset of Covid 19 – Resolution 20-03, passed in March, surrendered total decision-making power in all things operational and educational to the Superintendent. Board meetings have been without live streaming for over a year, despite the budget being approved in spring 2019. Rather than increasing community participation, our Board appears to be choosing to limit active participation from the community. Gov. Newsom’s ordinance restricts in person board meetings, however it does not prohibit public comment. Our Board has chosen to define that as accepting comments electronically, but not allowing comments to be read publicly by the author. Other Public comments have been cut short, not read (over 75 in the August 4th meeting) or read without fluidity that allows the entire comment to be properly understood. These protocols further restrict public comment and support censorship of your community input. If you want a voice, I am your choice.
- Reinforce fiscal oversight and improve financial visibility of District spending to the community. It is important that attention be given to the financials of our district. We are a well-funded Basic Aid District. Did you know that our property taxes fund approximately 90% of Laguna Beach’s school budget? In addition, thru the amazing efforts of SchoolPower and our community, SchoolPower raises approximately $1M additional capital annually to support some of the wonderful programs in our District. Public record requests have shown that legal fees and other payroll expenses have drastically increased under the current administration. Lastly, I will instill policy reform requiring financial transparency of all candidates past and present interactions with the district, allowing clear insight for community stakeholders. Board members should be an independent voice, if you want accountability and transparency in your investment in our children, I am your choice.
- Promote social diversity and equality for all, through collaboration and education. I will work with our District and local organizations to develop, and identify our need for social diversity, and address anti-racial bias, gender equality and global citizenship. I believe it is important that students understand and grasp their roles on a global level and strive for not only understanding, but action. By providing tools, information and action items, change can be brought forward to educate and instill empathy and support in our students in being active, global citizens and truly prepare them for the world ahead. Enrichment and opportunity abounds beyond the classroom and these opportunities would allow students to experience hands-on the value of community, empathy and collaboration on a world wide scale. If you want to help generate change, I am your choice.
- Implement Term Limits setting forth increased community participation to allow unique ideas, fresh perspectives and new energy. I am grateful to the Members that have served before me and are serving now. The historical information is important, but schools and our district should evolve, programs evolve and our district representation should as well.
Join me! If you want a voice, I am your choice.
- 17 Year Laguna Beach Unified School District Parent with 2 LBHS graduates
and 2 current students
- Over 15 Year active LBUSD PTA Member
- Active participant in over 40+ school board meetings
- PTA Advocacy Chair – TOW – 3 years, Thurston – 3 years.
- Student Grant Program Committee member at LBHS – 2 years
- Founding Member PTA Sports Swap for Thurston Middle School ;
chair person for 7 years
- TOW Math Challenge Coordinator for 5 years
- TOW and TMS Book Swap Coordinator for 7 years running
- Selected to District LCAP Committee – 2 years
- Elected to Elementary LCAP Committee – 2 years
- Nominated to LBHS Principal Search Committee on 2 occasions
- Participated in LBUSD Superintendent Search Committee
- Selected to Social and Emotional Parent Committee – 3 years
- Selected to Safety committee – 1 year
- Silver Graphics Art Fundraiser coordinator
- Friendship Shelter meal team – 1 Friday per month – 7 years
- Classroom volunteer – 15 years, hour a week minimum
- Girl Scout Leader – 5 years
- Business owner – 20 years
- Soccer team mom, baseball team mom, kids sports cheerleader